Sunday, December 10, 2006

Elaine


She was in a car accident in Maryland on december 8th, 1997.
She died on the 10th.
She called on me on the 5th of December.
I was not home.
I knew she was calling to wish me a belated happy birthday.
--so when i got the message,
I smiled and felt no need to call her right back.

Inside and out, Elaine was such a beautiful person.
brilliant, talented and athletic.
she excelled in everything.
awards left and right.
-artist
-pianist
-swimmer
-a multi-ribboned equestrian
-tennis player
-philippine team cyclist (silvers at the southeast asian games)
-tv sports commentator
-electrical engineering brain
-phd candidate

We met when we were 5.
Our friendship was never tainted with envy or secret rivalry.
Pure acceptance and mutual admiration.
(that this was mutual is really astounding, since there was absolutely nothing i could beat her at-- and yet she always said she admired my willingness to try anything, despite my inevitable defeat)

I miss her.

1 comment:

Tani said...

I'm so sorry to your lost. My sincere and heartfelt condolences.